Is it that time again? With school starting back up and, schedules getting busy, what better opportunity to take some time to review some not-so-sweet facts about food? My hope is to inspire YOU and YOUR loved ones to set your stage for life!
- Food is not only fuel for the body but it is used as information that directly communicates with our bodies, brain & DNA.
- Food nurtures our gut bacteria (microbiome), allowing them to do what they do best which is keeping our bodies and brains healthy. Did you know that 70% of your immune system resides in your microbiome and that it is also responsible for your metabolism, hormonal systems, brain and levels of inflammation?
- Unnatural food products such as refined carbs, sugar (which suppresses your immune system by 60% for up to 5 hours), & vegetable oils, cause the cells in the body to send out SOS signals & free radicals that are damaging (think of free radicals as bulls in a china shop). If these SOS signals & free radicals are left to their own devices, they can kill cells from the inside out.
- No-one should consume more than 5 tsp of sugar a day most adults are consuming an average of 22 tsp/day and kids consume up to 35 tsps. There are over 115 names for sugar so the easiest rule to go by is if it ends in “ose” it is sugar.
- Many bowls of cereal contain one spoonful of sugar for every three spoonfuls of cereal eaten.
- 4 grams of sugar = 1 teaspoon of sugar
- Research from the Public Health Journal linked diets high in fast foods and refined sweets to a 40% higher rate of depression due to lower amounts of dopamine (the feel-good hormone and neurotransmitter).
“Your fork sets you on a path that leads you to a disease or back to health” - Dr. David Perlmutter
If you are interested in learning more about healthy nutritional lifestyle choices call AST Willow Park to book a consult with Kira Greasley today.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.