By: Dr. Clare Westmacott, MD, CCFP, MD MFHom (UK), Carole Westmacott RN
The purposes of the following Product groups that we have chosen are to provide the essential nutrients that are needed for proper functioning of the Physiology (organ systems) of your body, as well as to assist the body in dealing with Inflammation that it has, as well as to try to change how the body responds to the causes of Inflammation that we are all exposed to (toxicity from foods, environment, daily mental & emotional stresses that you are reacting to). If you have any Musculo-Skeletal symptoms (pain, stiffness, ‘arthritis’, delayed healing, etc.) you have overt inflammation not just ‘silent inflammation’. During treatment you may need some specific products to assist the body in getting to a place where this maintenance protocol is all you need. Doing the 5 suggestions during your treatment will be of great assistance to your treatment.
It is important that you assess and understand where your ‘Stressors’ are coming from and try to eliminate or at least minimize your exposure to them. One area that you do have control over is Food. Poor quality food is a very common source of the Stress Reaction in the body. This includes regularly ingesting foods you are sensitive to as well as consuming Non Organic Foods, Processed foods, GMO Foods and high glycemic load foods (eg Sugar, refined carbohydrates, grains and flour). As a caveat with Organic Foods. Organic Labels on food from a very large country who is a trading Partner with Canada cannot be trusted to comply with Canadian standards. Repeated, independent testing of these foods regularly show very poor compliance with the regulations – Buyer Beware.
When you are taking the following products regularly – we often suggest that you take them Monday to Friday – having a break on the weekend. Some people suggest taking 1 week a month off, however, in our experience we have found that when you take that length of a break –you often have gotten out of your routine and forget to get back on it regularly (eg: you know what happens to your routine when you have been away and stop everything).
We also suggest that our patients use Pharmaceutical grade products. This means that – what is listed on the label is present in the product at 98% or greater of the label levels and is bio-available (fully absorbed) to you and there is nothing in the product that is not on the label and generally is gluten and dairy free (unless stated). With these requirements the products are usually somewhat more expensive than the regular over the counter products. What we tell our patients, if cost is an issue, it is better to take the product every other day. This in effect lowers the product cost by 50% and is better than taking a product that does not meet Pharmaceutical Grade Requirements on a daily basis. Pharmaceutical Grade products are generally available only to Professionals but some of the Compounding Pharmacies are now stocking them.
THE SUGGESTED PRODUCT GROUPS ARE
1) A Human Sourced, Professional / Pharmaceutical grade Probiotic. For Example Metagenics – UltraFlora Spectrum / HMF Intensive.
2) A Quality Multi-Vitamin with Anti-Oxidants. For example Metagenics PhytoMulti.
3) Vitamin D3 – in high enough quantities to raise the blood level to 140 – 250. In Canada, we generally need 5000 IU per day to achieve those blood levels. Drops work very well.
4) A Calcium / Magnesium / Vit D3 product (ratio of 800 mgm Calcium / 400 mgm Magnesium). This is important even for men. There is some misinformation about taking Calcium. If you stay within these guidelines and keep your inflammation under control – there is not a concern. The body needs Calcium & Magnesium for many, many functions – not just for good bone health
5) An Omega 3 (with both EPA & DHA) IF Symptomatic (eg having pain, etc.) 5000 – 6000 mgm total EPA & DHA) per day. For maintenance (that is no symptoms around 3000 mgm per day).Either Liquid or Capsules work – just be sure to take enough to be in the recommended range. One of the ways the Omega 3 Product works – and it is a good thing, is to make the blood less viscous (thick) so we recommend that before any surgery go off for 10 days.
Always consult your ND or MD/ health care provider before starting anything new to ensure that the supplements and amounts are the right choice for you.